Monday, August 29, 2011

Timing Is Everything

One of the things I really appreciate about having a Daddy who's also the God of the universe is that even when my family and friends are far away or beyond my electronic reach, I have someone to turn to. It's amazing how the details of my life seem to always be somewhere on God's agenda, and it appears that He loves to take care of practical matters like cars for example. I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of cars is limited. During my childhood years I was more naturally drawn to dolls, dress-up, horses, cooking etc etc, than vehicles. Interests changed, but I never got hooked on cars... Until now.

About a month ago I purchased my first car. It was a big moment in my journey to adulthood. After a few weeks of agonizing research, evaluation, discussion, prayer, decision, more thinking, more prayer, and a change of mind, I finally caught my black stallion, a 2001 Volvo S60. Despite not being a youngster anymore, with 72,000 miles he was still galloping proudly down the country roads of Missouri. I brought him to Michigan first, loaded him up with three girls' belongings, and headed south. The journey was smooth and comfortable, except for a little static noise from the speakers. (More on that later. And btw, this is not my car, but I don't have a picture of it yet. This is from http://www.web2carz.com/44174729/2001/volvo/s60/used-cars/for-sale?w2caf=50de523ede971194)
 

My black beauty has served me well, but old cars, just like old horses, need some extra love and care. Unfortunately, I in my ignorance didn't know what was going on under the hood. One day I noticed a strange noise from the front right side. It was like a short "tsht" every now and then. I tried speeding up, breaking, turning, idling, but no correlation could be found. I talked it over with my dad, friends, and colleagues, and despite wanting to wait and kinda see what would happen, I finally decided to take it to the doctor, just in case. It wasn't a minute too soon. The noise  was coming from the breaks, but it wasn't anything that needed urgent attention. However, the mechanic took a look at the rest of the car and found out the timing belt was about ready to snap! Needless to say, I got an appointment first thing in the morning to have it changed.

There are many times I wish I had my mom and dad, brothers, other family members and friends a little bit closer to help me with all the challenges of growing up, but praise the Lord that He is everywhere and can use anything and anyone to promptly assist His little princess in time of need :) Thanks, Daddy!

2 comments:

  1. His love for us is amazing... When our eyes of faith are open we are able to see his presence in every aspect of our life and yes in a very timely manner :). Blessings sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    Maybe I'm slow but your cryptic nickname has failed to reveal your identity. Care to share who you are?

    ReplyDelete